What are the main themes of the festival?
The program of Next 5 Minutes 4 is structured along four core thematic
threads, bringing together a host of projects and debates. These four
thematic threads are:
- "The Reappearing of the Publc" deals with the elusiveness of the
public that tactical media necessarily needs to interface with, and
considers new strategies for engaging with or redefining 'the public'.
- "Deep Local (Growing Roots for the Global Village)", which explores the
ambiguities of connecting essentially translocal media cultures with local
- "The Tactics of Appropriation" questions who is appropriating whom?
Corporate, state, or terrorist actors all seem to have become effective
media tacticians, is the battle for the screen therefore lost?
- "The Tactical and the Technical" finally questions the deeply political
nature of (media-)technology, and the role that the development of new media
tools plays in defining, enabling and constraining its tactical use.
The festival explores a variety of forms and formats, from low-tech to
high-tech, from seminars and debates to performances and urban
interventions, screenings, installations as well as sound projects and live
media, a pitching session, a tool builders fair and open unmoderated spaces.
Defining for tactical media is not the medium itself, but the attitude
NEXT 5 MINUTES 4 - OVERVIEW OF THREADS & THEMES:
THE REAPPEARING PUBLIC
- Testimony and Witness
- Tactical Cartography: Diagrams of Power
- The 1001 Politics of the Archive
- Urban Interventions
- New Landscapes for New Media
- Enduring Post Communism: Networks of Patronage
- Freedom of movement == Freedom of information?
- Laboratory Italy
- Palestinian Video Presentation
- The Amsterdam Local Media Debate
THE TACTICS OF APPROPRIATION!
- Tactical Media in Crisis
(Strategies for Tactical Media)
- The Indymedia Debate
- Uses and Abuses of the Language of Human Rights
- Contestational Science
(Reconfiguring Scientific Networks of Power)
- The politics of appropriation and the legacy of globalisation protests
THE TACTICAL AND THE TECHNICAL
- The man inside the machine is still there
- Radio Space "wireless in your psyche"
- Paper tactics and the Revenge of Print
- The Tactical Media Tool Builders Fair:
- Updates on Streaming Cultures
- Tactical Gizmology
- The Desire to be Wireless
- Open Source Publication Tools